How to be "productive" & pareto principle in research?

Let’s discuss strategies to stay productive in research. I will open the discussion with a question:

Does the Pareto principle apply to researchers? Is anyone using it?

• Please share personal examples or some that you have witnessed in others, i.e., “the friend of a friend” is OK.
  • No is a valid answer. Please elaborate if possible with examples.

Disclaimer: It’s OK if our opinions are refutable. It’s human productivity so personality matters. If we are lucky :four_leaf_clover:, recurring patterns or principles might emerge :crossed_fingers: :slight_smile:

It surely works for me, but with a caveat: Pareto papers are significantly less satisfying :frowning:

1 Like

What do you mean @ducha-aiki ? Can you elaborate a bit?

1 Like

Elaborate about what? Pareto?

Why do you think Pareto papers are less satisfying? What does it exactly mean to do a Pareto paper in your case?

1 Like

That has nothing to do what I think, because the satisfaction is a feeling and I know how I feel about such papers I did.
Pareto: 80% of results take 20%time, so just stop there and produce 5 80% papers

1 Like

I also didn’t understand what @ducha-aiki meant by Pareto papers as I haven’t participated in such a thing yet. I assumed it’s a joke or a bad endeavor that he found himself. Hence his recommendation :blush:

I also feel that investing 80% of my time & energy in 20% alike-ideas isn’t a great choice. However, as my religious friends say “it takes all sorts to make a world” :sweat_smile: